Making improvements to your lighting is one of the fastest ways to cut your energy bills. Using new lighting technologies can reduce lighting energy use in your home by 50% to 75%. Use energy efficient compact flourescent lights (CFLs) in fixtures throughout your home to provide high-efficiency lighting. Fluorescent lamps are much more efficient than incandescent (standard) bulbs and last about 4 to 10 times longer. Today's CFLs offer brightness and color rendition that is comparable to incandescent lights. Although compact fluorescent bulbs cost a bit more than incandescent bulbs, they pay for themselves by saving energy over their lifetime.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR label when purchasing products.
- Turn off the lights in any room you're not using, or consider installing timers, photo cells, or occupancy sensors to reduce the amount of time your lights are on.
- Use task lighting, instead of brightly lighting an entire room.
- Consider three-way lamps; the make it easier to keep lighting levels low.
- Use CFLs in all the portable lamps and torchiere fixtures in your home.