Energy Saving Indoor Lighting Tips
Making improvements to your lighting is one of the fastest ways to cut your energy bills. Using new lighting technologies can reduce lighting energy use in your home by 50% to 75%. Use energy efficient compact flourescent lights (CFLs) in fixtures throughout your home to provide high-efficiency lighting. Fluorescent lamps are much more efficient than incandescent (standard) bulbs and last about 4 to 10 times longer. Today's CFLs offer brightness and color rendition that is comparable to incandescent lights. Although compact fluorescent bulbs cost a bit more than incandescent bulbs, they pay for themselves by saving energy over their lifetime.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR label when purchasing products.
- Turn off the lights in any room you're not using, or consider installing timers, photo cells, or occupancy sensors to reduce the amount of time your lights are on.
- Use task lighting, instead of brightly lighting an entire room.
- Consider three-way lamps; the make it easier to keep lighting levels low.
- Use CFLs in all the portable lamps and torchiere fixtures in your home.